Sunday, September 2, 2012

First, a poet


When I was in fifth grade I wrote a poem called Fog. This poem by Thom Gunn reminds me of it. Mine is the first I remember writing though I imagine there were more. It was just the first that I showed to someone else. It got the attention of my teacher. It was put in a little book. I first began to identify as writer...a poet. Thanks Thom Gunn for the reminder. Thanks to my teachers.

The Night Piece

The fog drifts slowly down the hill
And as I mount gets thicker still,
Closes me in, makes me its own
Like bedclothes on the paving stone.

Here are the last few streets to climb,
Galleries, run through veins of time,
Almost familiar, where I creep
Toward sleep like fog, through fog like sleep.

"The Night Piece" by Thom Gunn, from Collected Poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment