Monday, November 5, 2012

The day after yesterday

The day before yesterday, I asked her
if she would like a priest.
"What would he do? she asked.
Pray with you. "Oh."
And, I thought, well, he's not here, we are so,
I began to speak the words we both had spoken since childhood,
they tumbled out of our two mouths
as if we still spoke them every day:

"Hail Mary, full of grace,
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen."

The day before yesterday
she kept calling, "ma, ma."
and she asked, "where is my mother?"
I think she is waiting for you...

The day before that
she asked, "what shall I do?"
You don't have to do anything;
You have done so much
"I am so tired."
I know. You can rest now.
"But what can I do?"
You can tell people you love them and let them tell you they love you.
"Ok. I love you."
I love you too.

The day before yesterday she said:
"I see Joey, and Johnny, and ma and dad..."
"Where is Grace? Grace!"
She will be here soon.

She will be here soon.

Yesterday,
as soon as Grace appeared,
sat on the bed,
held her hand, and
whispered in her ear, "I am here,"
she was gone.

I love you.
I love you.
Always.



Joey, Lena, Grace, Sonny (about 1966)




No comments:

Post a Comment