Monday, October 1, 2012

My father's body

for Joe
circa 1994


I am his seed
his flesh
in this hammock
meant for him

I am he
his smile
his thoughts
his dreams

I am his immortality
his laissez-faire
his critique

I am he
hands
strong long
feet
flat wide
just an inch under
in height

I am his build
save the breasts
vagina ovaries
what if I had
been a boy?
I'd really be he.

I am still he
no matter gender
I take his form
I take his place

This is his ma jong chair
his hammock
still on its frame
enjoying the first
air of spring's summer

I take his place
I breathe for him
give weight to this
earth for him

I am him
his immortality
as I breathe
as I speak
as I dream
as I write

I smile
it is his grin
for this short while
for all of my days

I am my father's body, too.




Christmas 1964

No comments:

Post a Comment