Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My mother’s body



                  with thanks to Marge Percy
                  circa 1994

Accessible
Hugging
in which I grew
from which I came
Mine
year to year
an earthly incarnation
of my future
the initial shame
discomfort
with being female
the eventual acceptance
joy
of
milk nourishing breasts
life giving vagina
words that encourage
hands that soothe
hands that scold
raging lungs
the voice I use
to scold my own children
a listening ear
pillowed chest
sorrowful eyes
strong hands.
            Use lotion, she
            says, noxema,
            not soap
            and don't shave
            too early
            exercise
            and
            don't just give
            your body away
            don't just give
            your self away.
My mother's body
mine for years
more of her
part of me
than I ever knew
beyond resemblance
so very basic
of her ovum did I come
of her rhythms I sing
of her dance I walk
and talk and think
and today more
joyously
I exclaim
now
in my thirty-first year
I am of my mother's body.


2 comments: