Monday, February 19, 2018

Hijab 101


Muslim Girls Making Change is dedicated to social justice through poetry. Check them out.

Youth slam poetry group members Kiran Waqar, Hawa Adam, 
Lena Ginawi, and Balkisa Abdikadir.

Below is a powerful poem from Kiran Waqar. Find more of their work on their website and at the Young Writer's Project.


Hijab 101

She be rockin it, she be rockin it(2x), she be rockin’ that hijab

K: But you think she’s oppressed

H: It’s a little short of the feminist movement

K: You think she’s mistreated

Aren't you hot in that?

Do you shower with that on?

What’s underneath that thing?

K: Why are you wearing that? You were prettier before

H: Can I touch your hair?

*whisper* Did your dad make you wear it?

Welcome to Hijab 101


Lesson #1: Basic pronunciation

It’s hi-jab not heeejob

H: Learn to work your tongue around it

K: Twist and bend until you get can get the perfect sounds

H: This will be your first test

Lesson #2: Common misconceptions

H: People don’t seem to realize...

It’s my choice!

No! My parents aren't forcing me to wear it

K: I chose to put it on

H: This hijab has always been a part of me

K: Let me be clear

H: I do it for the Creator, not His creation

K: This hijab is my form of liberation!

So you haters, go get yourself an education!

Lesson #3: Defining the hijab

K: Hijab. Noun. Meaning barrier and partition in Arabic.

H: But for me it means modesty, you see, it’s a part of our personality.

K: Hijab means brain over body

H: Hijab means security

K: Hijab means identity

Lesson #4: Hijab and feminism

K: Feminism today means loving your body

B: Accepting your body

H: Showing your body without any reservation

And I do that, by covering my body

K: By controlling who sees my body, I reclaim it

It's my right!

K: So next time, you say women shouldn’t be shamed for their clothing

Don’t forget this hijabi

K: I’ll rock my short, or long hijab

H My black abaya

K: My niqab and my burkini

H: But this isn’t a class for you

K: It’s not meant to inform you on who I am

H: Whoever I am and whoever you are

Respect

Because this

Is my hijab

*hijab flip*

No comments:

Post a Comment