Thursday, March 29, 2018

Published, in Vermont

Looks like I have had a poem accepted by

PoemTown St. Johnsbury,

which invites Vermont poets of all ages to submit original poems to be displayed on local business storefronts in celebration of National Poetry Month in April.

I submitted two poems. I wrote both during sessions of the Wednesday Poets group that I joined last July.

The one selected was my response to the prompt, What would you like to take down? The prompt arose out of our discussion of the movement to take down confederate civil war monuments throughout the nation. My poem took a more personal route.

With thanks to this band of creative hearts that has welcomed me in, and especially to Sylvia who encouraged us all to send entries, here's my poem:


What would you like to take down
for Russell

I’d like to take down
a picture – one I (really) like
so you can hang the one you (really) like
of that lone, leafless tree
stark center in the frame
of a grey winter.

I don’t like it – (so)(I) hid it in the attic.
To me it’s lifeless, barren, cold
but you – you see something else –
an open season to play in,
a field to cross in snowshoes,
a toboggan run.

So tonight when I get home
I’d like to show you a picture
I’d like to take down.



Here are the PoemTown Events:

POEMTOWN ST. JOHNSBURY 2018

All PoemTown St. Johnsbury events are open to the public at no charge.  

PoemTown Poems Display
Poems will be posted on downtown St. Johnsbury business windows throughout the month of April. 

Noontime Poetry Readings
Wednesdays, April 4, 11, 18, 25, noon-1:00pm
St. Johnsbury Athenaeum
Bring your favorite poem to share, or simply listen.

Poetry Slam
Tuesday, Apr. 10, 7:00pm
Kingdom Taproom
Slam Master Bill Biddle will lead this raucous and fun competition. If you'd like to compete, bring two original poems to perform (you may read from a paper). If you would rather listen (and cheer and boo), come on down to support our local poets! Judges will be selected from the audience.

Teen Poetry Slam
Friday, Apr. 20, 7:00pm  
Catamount Outback Artspace
Middle and high school students are encouraged to bring two original poems to perform at Open Mic St. Jay. Hosted by St. Johnsbury Athenaeum's Teen Advisory Board.

Junior Jam
Friday, Apr. 27, 6:00pm
St. Johnsbury Athenaeum 
Students will read their favorite poems at this event hosted by the St. Johnsbury Athenaeum's Teen Advisory Board.

PoemTown Poets' Reading
Sunday, Apr. 29, 3:00-5:00pm
Catamount Arts Gallery
Poets whose poems are displayed in downtown St. Johnsbury will read their poems, and refreshments will be available. 

PoemTown St. Johnsbury is a collaborative effort of Catamount Arts, St. Johnsbury Athenaeum, and St. Johnsbury Chamber of Commerce, and is a satellite site of PoemCity in Montpelier.
Image: St. Johnsbury Athenaeum staircase

2 comments: