Thursday, March 15, 2018

The age of nostalgia

for Chrissy and Bob

It's been snowing here for three days in Vermont's northeast kingdom
and I'm laid up with a wrenched hip...fell after getting stuck in the driveway on the way to yoga.
Go figure!

So it's day 2 on the couch for me
with ice and time to rest

Of course, I'm cruising the internet

from the news - bad - to a note from Pinterest
to check my many days ignored inbox

there are pins for 2 socks at a time in the round

and 40s hair styles for every day and special occasions:

including weddings

which reminds me that my sister is marrying this summer
and her theme,
yes, there is a theme,
is the 1970s

and so now I am looking for a dress -
something timely
and at ease
to cover a bathing suit
because, it's a pool party reception, too!

Here are a few favorites...

Wow, huh?
$495 from this New Zealand maker: KraftytKiwiKornershop
I could crochet this one.
Auntie Lena taught me to make granny squares.
Not this color!
I find
at nearly 55
that nostalgia
has a different feel
than it did even a year ago
the oldies on the radio
are really mine now
not my mother's and father's
and certainly not my grandparents'
as they were in my past
and theirs...

funny, in a 'my heart is fluttering' way
to be the one
whose music is
the sentimental
love of a generation
of late boomers
and early gen-X-ers

Led Zeppelin to the Clash
Steppenwolf to to UB40
and more...

Wore a crochet bikini in this color at age 18.
I think I could still rock this. For the wedding?
Anyway, can't wait for the day,
Chrissy and Bob!
I'll be there
beside you
while you marry
and we all
sway and nod
to our memories' groove...

(and our kids roll their eyes
at us old people!:-))

This: nostalgia and the present. iPhone and crochet.
OMG, here are some more from Liloumariposa on Etsy. She finds old patterns and makes them available for very small dollars. Here is one I hope I can crochet myself:


Here are two that give me giggles.



All for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment